Wednesday, July 17, 2013

July 17, 2013 : "Sticking" it out and something new for dinner....

Here in Connecticut, it is very HOT!  Day 4 of a 7 day heat wave.  Humidity is outrageous.  As you know, we belong to a swim club so we are very lucky.  What to do about morning exercise?  I ran this morning and I happened to run into a spinning buddy and we ran along together.  At 5:20 am it was already 75 degrees.  In this weather, 5:30 am is the best time to run.  The sun is not yet up fully and the two of us ran and chatted about why we do this.  Some say that after exercising diligently for 3 months, it becomes a habit.  Agreed.  I said that I feel 13 again and have a lot of energy now that a lot of weight is off.  DG, my spinning buddy and occasionally my running buddy, said that he just has to exercise to feel healthy and good.  Agreed.  Be smart about it - when I see people of any age out for a run at noon in the blistering sun and high humidity, I get upset.  Find an exercise buddy and the exercise experience becomes social and good for you!  Stick it out!
                                                             

Something new for dinner....in this heat, what to do for dinner is always a question.  Tonight, I am grilling chicken but needed something different for a side.  I decided to make farro as a side dish instead of rice.  I am treating just like rice and am hoping for the best!  Try something new and it might be delicious.  I am hoping for delicious and will let you know.  I chopped half of an onion and half of an orange pepper, sautted them in a tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan.  I threw in the farro to toast it with the onion and pepper.  I then put in a 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth and covered it.  Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Once done, I will stir in some feta cheese and if it isn't as good as it smells, oh well.  I would never know if I did not try...

                                                      

Response to my "farro salad" - a success!  My older daughter rarely eats anything new but she tried it and LIKED it!  I had cut up a red pepper for her which she ate along with the farro!  Yea!  I will be making it again for my younger daughter's lunch tomorrow - she just got her braces on and she does not have to chew the farro salad too hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment