Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 16, 2013 : Deep Water Running and Spinach Strawberry Salad

I am lucky to belong to an outdoor pool club that offers a class called "Deep Water Running".  I have tried it TWICE (I like to try new things/ideas twice because often the first time I do something new, I don't like it!).  Here is how it goes: we wear belt to keep us floating/bobbing in the water up to our shoulders.  The instructor stays on the side and demonstrates from her chair what our moves are.  We sometimes just use our legs, sometimes just our arms and we even work our abs - all while we are in 12 feet of water!  It gives you a good workout without stress on your joints.  One of the ladies did get a cramp in her calf but it quickly worked itself out.  The class lasts for 45 minutes, it is social and it is FUN!  Why not try something new if the opportunity comes to you?  You might not have access to deep water running but I bet you have access to try something new to you!  It could be just getting back on your bike that you have not ridden in months.  Try something new (twice) and you might just like it!

                                                            

After a great day at the pool, I needed something quick and delicious for dinner.  To accompany this refreshing salad, I grilled boneless chicken breasts with just salt and pepper and made sandwiches with them.

Spinach Strawberry Salad

1 bag/package of baby spinach
1/2 lb sliced strawberries (more or less depending on your likes)
1/2 chopped cucumber
1 cup slivered almonds

Dressing (this makes the salad even better)

zest of one lemon and juice of same lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (I like white balsamic for this)
2 tbps sugar

I put these dressing ingredients in small jar and shake.  Drizzle on spinach ingredients and enjoy!  I was totally skeptical (strawberries and spinach?) but now I am hooked!  Give it  a try!

                                                       



No comments:

Post a Comment