Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11, 2013: Setting a goal and grilling a pizza

In February 2010, I went to the gym to walk on the treadmill for the first time in ages.  It was February vacation and my kids were sending me over the deep end so I suggested a swim at the gym.  Swimming for fun was why we would go but this time I wanted to walk for 30 minutes on the treadmill first.  I was hooked.  I started walking and running a week later.  I would rush to the gym for my 30 minutes before they got off the bus after school. By spring I was running 2-3 miles in my neighborhood before school.  I decided to run a 5k in July.  I set a goal that was REASONABLE and at the end of that 5k I was so proud of myself I actually cried.  My daughters were at the end cheering and I could not believe that I actually had finished.  I looked at the time and sighed but quickly smiled and knew I would be back the following year to run again.  Set a goal for yourself to run a 5k in 6-8 months after you start running/walking.  Find a race in your area and go for it!  Be reasonable and realistic and just finish!  The time does not matter for the race.  It is the accomplishment and the pride that count for setting a goal and reaching it.
                                              

I love pizza but want to make it a bit healthier so I started to \prepare pizza right on the grill!  Give it a try!

Grilled pizza

Buy a bag of pizza dough from the market - I usually buy it a Trader Joe's.

Divide pizza dough in half so it is easier to work with.  I roll the dough in a bit of flour so it does not stick to my hands.  On a foil lined cookie sheet, work each piece until you have two flat rounds.

Heat grill and use a medium flame.  Clean surface well because dough will go on directly.  Place each piece on grill.  Grill for two minutes and check bottom.  If ready to flip, flip!  Put sauce on the cooked side and any cheese or toppings and continue to grill until bottom is done.  I frequently put peppers, mushrooms, chicken on as toppings.  Prepare toppings before you grill because this grills very fast.  

This is a great way to enjoy pizza and you have control of the ingredients!

                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment